I am happy to try to assist you with any problems you may be having with the federal government. In my Sacramento office, there is a dedicated team of caseworkers available to work with you on these matters. Please read the information below to find out if your issue is something we may able to help you with, and how to begin the process if so.

How do I know if my problem is something that Congresswoman Matsui may be able to solve?

Congresswoman Matsui can often assist with matters pertaining to federal government agencies including the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Social Security Administration, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Below is a list of the most common issues with which the Congresswoman is able to assist.

Unfortunately, Congresswoman Matsui does not have jurisdiction over state and local government agencies or matters being decided in the courts and she cannot offer assistance in these types of cases.

In order to provide the highest level of constituent service, we kindly ask that you direct all inquiries to Congresswoman Matsui’s district office located in downtown Sacramento.  You can contact the district office:

  • by calling (916) 498-5600
  • by writing to:

    Robert T. Matsui United States Courthouse
    501 I Street, Suite 12-600
    Sacramento, CA 95814

Regardless of how you contact the office, Congresswoman Matsui’s staff must receive a signed Privacy Release Form before the office can open a congressional inquiry into your case. This form requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Click on the following link to download the Privacy Release Form:


*For immigration-related casework:

If you have an immigration-related inquiry with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), we will need you to download and complete an Immigration Intake Form instead of a Privacy Release Form. Please include your receipt/tracking number and any additional pertinent information to your specific inquiry.

If you cannot download the forms, please contact Congresswoman Matsui’s district office in Sacramento to ask that paper forms be mailed to you.

Frequently Asked Questions & Federal Agency Websites:

To contact federal agencies directly, call the federal government “First Call” hotline at 1-800-688-9889.

Citizenship and Immigration Services
Answers to questions, such as “How do I appeal the denial of my asylum petition?” and “Congressional Staff FAQs.”

One-stop access to consumer information and assistance from the federal government, coordinated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Covers product recalls, fraudulent practices, and buying tips. Some of the information is available in Spanish.

Disaster Assistance Available from FEMA
Information from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). FEMA Regional Offices provide additional local information.

Federal Consumer Information Center
Covering such topics as government surplus property, veterans’ benefits, Medicare, and Social Security (from GSA’s Consumer Information Center website). Some pamphlets available in Spanish.

Medicare Consumer Information
Frequently requested consumer information on Medicare from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), formerly Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA). For local phone contact information, see CMS’s Helpful Contacts page.

Social Security Administration (SSA)
From the Social Security Administration’s website, which also offers Social Security Benefit Information Publications in full text (and some in Spanish).

State Department Travel Advisories
Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets (from the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs website).

Student Guide
The Student Guide is the most comprehensive resource on student financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education. Grants, loans, and work-study are the three major forms of student financial aid available through the Department’s Student Financial Assistance office. Updated each award year, The Student Guide tells you about the programs and how to apply for them. Available in Spanish.

Tax Information for Individuals
Where to file, local phone numbers for assistance, and answers to frequently asked questions from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. The IRS website also provides copies of tax forms, and some material in Spanish.

USA.gov is the official U.S. gateway to all government information. Available in Spanish.

USAJOBS and Career OneStop
“USAJOBS” is the federal government’s official website for federal jobs and employment information (from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management). “Career One Stop” is a U.S. Department of Labor-sponsored Web site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals.

Veterans Affairs (VA)
Information on veterans’ benefits and related issues. Fact Sheets, Programs & Issues links to summaries that contain statistics, histories, and descriptions of programs on a variety of topics, including state summary fact sheets. Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents, the handbook on veterans’ benefits programs, is available in PDF format. Available in Spanish.

My problem does not involve the federal government, who should I contact now?

Stay Connected

Use the form below to sign up for Congresswoman Matsui's newsletter and get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.